VAWA for Abused Family Members

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) allows an abused spouse, child, or parent of a United States Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident to file an immigrant visa petition on their own without the abuser’s knowledge.   Both women and men can file an immigrant visa petition under VAWA.  Once the applicant has been placed in deferred action, he or she may apply to work in the United States.

Confidential and Safe Environment

Habich Law provides a confidential and safe environment for you to share your experiences, ensuring that your privacy is respected throughout the process.

Expert Legal Guidance

Habich Law expert legal guidance will help you through the self-petition process, ensuring that your application is thorough and supported by strong evidence.

Comprehensive Support

From gathering documentation to preparing for interviews, Habich Law offers comprehensive support to help you obtain the protection and relief you deserve.

Eligibility requirements for a spouse:

  1. Qualifying spousal relationship:
    • You are married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident abuser or
    • Your marriage to the abuser was terminated by death or a divorce (related to the abuse) within the 2 years prior to filing your petition, or
    • Your spouse lost or renounced citizenship or permanent resident status within the 2 years prior to filing your petition due to an incident of domestic violence, or
    • You believed that you were legally married to your abusive U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse but the marriage was not legitimate solely because of the bigamy of your abusive spouse.
  2. You or your child has suffered battery or extreme cruelty by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse.
  3. You entered into the marriage in good faith, not solely for immigration benefits.
  4. You have resided with your spouse.
  5. You are a person of good moral character.

*The attorney attends all Adjustment of Status interviews before USCIS with our clients.*